Markington War Memorial Institute
In june 1919 a specially convened meeting was held in the schoolroom to decide what form the proposed War Memorial for Markington Village should take. It was agreed to erect a village reading room and institute. Funds were raised to purchase a wooden hut 30' x 90' at a cost of £350 that was erected on the current site on land donated by the Wilberforce family.
The opening ceremony took place on the 14th December 1919 and the institute has been in constant use by the village ever since except for a period between 1939 and 1942 when it was requisitioned by the Army for use by troops. The original hut was eventially pulled down
the new building was built in 1973 and continues today as a meeting place and focal point for the local community.
The main hall is large enough to seat 120.
There is a fitted kitchen with equipment and utensils
Ladies and gentlemens cloak rooms.
Spacious car park.
Hiring the institute
Hire of hall includes tables and chairs. Main Hall per hour£12.00 Minimum 3 hours. This includes 30 minuites either side for set up and clear up.
Terms and conditions available.Crockery and chair hire available please ask.
Please contact Lisa Stirk. email@example.com
Childrens birthday party packages. Click the logo for more information.