A Little bit of village history
MARKINGTON WITH WALLERTHWAITE 1848
An Extract From: 'Marham-Cherry - Marlborough', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), p257-260
Markington, with Wallerthwaite 1848
MARKINGTON, with Wallerthwaite, a township, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 4 3⁄4 miles (S. S. W.) from Ripon; containing 510 inhabitants. The township comprises about 3000 acres of land, including that part of the pleasure-grounds of Studley Park in which stand the splendid ruins of Fountains Abbey, and the mansion of Fountains Hall. The village is situated west of the road from Ripon to Ripley. The hamlet of Wallerthwaite consists of a farm and a few cottages, and is distant about a mile eastward of Markington. It was deserted by the 14th century and it is thought that the Black Death in 1349 and raids by the Scots earlier in the century were responsible.
Interestingly the population hasn't changed much...yet